Re: [location-iwg] JUMP Lib and GeoScript: Opportunities to Collaborate?

Thanks for all of the responses.

Tim wrote: "While I like the idea of sharing an API, I'm not
immediately impressed
 that the extra abstraction would make things much easier for all of
 us."

I agree.

Tim wrote: "Anyway, my guess is that even if there were a common lib
that provided
 another Feature interface, in GeoScript at least, we'd end up wrapping
 it again to provide signatures and syntax that make sense for the
 specific language."

This is not ideal. I don't want to provide another layer of complexity
to GeoScript. If the GeoScript Javascript implementation wraps
GeoTools already, the appropriate way to implement GeoScript in Java
would be by exposing the GeoTools code that is already being wrapped
in other language implementations.

My intent was mostly to poke around the open source community before I
started JUMP Lib. After digesting Tim's comments, it sounds like the
JUMP/GeoTools schism still makes it very difficult to join forces.

For the time being, I think I will move forward on JUMP Lib without
trying to integrate into GeoScript.

I am interested in a pure Javascript or Python simple feature
implementation. Would there be interest in an implementation of the
GeoScript interfaces in "pure" Python or Javascript?

Landon