[location-iwg] Tomorrow's LocationTech meeting & updates

Hi Everyone,

A reminder about tomorrow's (Wednesday's) LocationTech working group meeting at 9am EDT.

This month's call features Alex Barth from Mapbox speaking about some of the work they're doing for OpenStreetMap.

In addition to the conference bridge, we'll also be using Google On-Air for Alex as he speaks & demos. This will be a live-stream YouTube video. I'll send out the URL to this list before the session.

Also, we'll share news of the development forge coming on-line and team LocationTech meeting with Automotive & Aerospace companies in Germany later this month.

The complete agenda is available on-line here.

Here are some updates ahead of time to enable you to think about the various topics in advance:

1) Steps towards launch update
  • The Technology top level project for LocationTech has been approved & created. We're now ready to create projects.
  • Logo, presentation templates, etc. are done
  • The web site is on-line. It'll be roughly another week before it is ready for launch. This includes the project portal which supports creation & management of projects including activities such as committer elections, releases, and more.
  • Signing deadline in order to be a founding member: October 26th, 2012
  • Media coverage, joint press release, blogs, etc.
2) Projects
  • uDig's proposal is ready to go. Being posted in the next 48 hours.
  • GeoScript proposal in progress.
  • Others starting the process.

    No's:
  • GeoAPI didn't work out. Required copyright assignment to OGC which was not acceptable.
  • GeoToolkit withdrew & decided to move to Apache SIS. They felt they wanted to be far out of Geotools' shadow.
3) Members

  • Members continue to sign up for launch. IBM, Oracle, and OpenGeo are signed as Strategic members already. We'll announce the full list when we launch.
  • On behalf of the Steering Committee, invitations are being made to noteworthy non-profits, government agencies, and academic institutions to participate without dues. These participates do not receive voting rights.

4) Elections

We will hold elections once we hit 25 committers & 10 solutions reps. i.e. likely right after launch. This will allow us to fill interim positions in the architecture, marketing, and steering committees.

5) Technology survey

To provide valuable input from the industry - both consumers and technology providers, we will be doing a technology survey. Please contact Andrew if you would like to participate in the survey design. A few media organizations have expressed interest in partnering with us on this.

Cheers,

--
Andrew Ross
Director, Ecosystems