[location-iwg] uDig proposal - license

For those who have recently joined the mailing list. The uDig project is grinding through the incubation process, and trying to trip over all the hurdles as we go.
If you are planning to enter LocationTech this is your chance to ask Andrew difficult questions (using a project other then your own as an example).

A reminder that the LocationTech licenses are  BSD, MIT, EPL or Apache. Here is some amusing background reading on the topic. The uDig project is currently distributed under an LGPL project and thus needs to change.

We have our change control page here (it will go to our project steering committee when ready, since license choice is often a sensitive topic we bouncing this off the user and committer list):
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/License+Change

In doing the research for this activity I found the following:
 A Guide to the Legal Documentation for Eclipse-Based Content
- http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl/about.php
- The about.html

Note checklists and filename conventions are *specific* to Eclipse RCP apps and not generally applicable to LocationTech.

Q: How much of the above needs to be adapted to work in the Context of LocationTech?

- Example: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/copyrightandlicensenotice.php <- covers standard header

Q: When working under the LocationTech banner, do we need to engage the language around "redistribution of Eclipse.org content"

Specifically points 1 & 2 from "A Guide to the Legal Documentation for Eclipse-based Conrtent":
1. All of the legal documentation is written on behalf of the Eclipse Foundation as if it were the distributor of the content. If you redistribute the content then it is no longer true that Eclipse Foundation is providing the content. In this case, the content originated with the Eclipse Foundation and you are redistributing it.

2. If you are redistributing the object code under your own license as the EPL, and other licenses used by the Eclipse.org projects allow you to do (there may be exceptions), then the existing Eclipse.org legal documentation can be very misleading to readers since it states that use of the object code is governed by various open source licenses.
--
Jody Garnett

Back to the top