[location-iwg] Updates for GeoAPI & Geotoolkit

Hi Everyone,

As you know, Martin Desruisseaux approached us regarding the GeoAPI and Geotoolkit projects in July. I would like to share an update to explain why Martin & the project teams for these projects have decided against pursuing a proposal for each.

The GeoAPI project was interested in attracting more contributions and re-use for GeoAPI but required copyright for all contributions to be assigned to the OGC. This was something quite different than how (~270) projects @ Eclipse work today - contributors are not required to assign copyright. For this reason, it was felt this wasn't a good fit.

The Geotoolkit project was also interested in the benefits from hosting at LocationTech. As background, Geotoolkit is a fork of the Geotools project. The Geotools project is hosted at OSGeo. There are people deeply involved with Geotools who are also involved with LocationTech. Summarizing a long decision process, Geotoolkit has decided to pursue Apache instead to put some distance between it and Geotools & ensure it wasn't in Geotools' shadow. To be clear, LocationTech & the Eclipse Foundation do not favour one technology over another. We are quite comfortable hosting competing projects or even projects that compete with products from members. This is another elegant aspect of our governance model & heritage.

I'd like to thank Martin & the teams from both projects from considering LocationTech. I do believe they know they were most welcome even if the fit wasn't quite right. We will be staying in close contact and looking for opportunities to collaborate in any case.

Please do share any questions you might have about this on the list as the discussion will benefit others.

Andrew

Back to the top