[location-iwg] Article: Open Source has won

Hi All,

If you haven't seen this article, chances are, since you're here @ LocationTech, you may appreciate the pragmatic sentiments in the article and comments:
http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/07/open-source-won.html

Roger Magoulas:
"Open source won. It’s not that an enemy has been vanquished or that proprietary software is dead, there’s not much regarding adopting open source to argue about anymore. After more than a decade of the low-cost, lean startup culture successfully developing on open source tools, it’s clearly a legitimate, mainstream option for technology tools and innovation."

Tim O'Reily:
"Open platforms always create new value that is captured by people who close the system down in some ways. But we're all better off from the dance." "My own thinking about open source has always been shaped more by the generosity of the Berkeley/MIT/Apache/Internet approach - here's our work, build on it however you will - than on the hyper-controlling approach of the GPL. There's no question in my mind which of those approaches has created more value for society. The pragmatists beat the ideologues hands down."

Andrew

Back to the top