For routing, I suspect the two are somewhat mutually exclusive.  From what I've read of routing algorithms, the "continental" scale algorithms tend to rely on huge pre-built indexes to achieve impressive performance.  In looking briefly at Project OSRM, for instance, the size of the index files for even a moderately sized region would be prohibitive for most devices on the market today.

Cheers

Paul

On 2012-07-26, at 1:46 PM, Chris Holmes <cholmes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you're looking at routing I highly recommend checking out http://opentripplanner.org/

It's not really optimized to run directly on mobile devices offline right now, but could potentially be improved for that. It's a great set of code, a solid community, and a bunch of production users. It'll also be the basis of this - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228865951/transit-app-for-ios-6-and-beyond (which I do encourage everyone to support). OpenPlans is the parent organization of OpenGeo, and their transit group is a sister to us.

Chris