[linuxtools-dev] Removal of non-default 'opcontrol' from OProfile plugin

Looking through the commits to the Ecipse OProfile plugin, I see that we
switched a while ago to having 'operf' as the default tool being used. This
was seen as a step in the right direction as it simplified a lot of setup
that made 'opcontrol' (currently known as legacy mode) so difficult to use.
Particularly setting up the oprofile kernel module.

Are people still making use of the 'opcontrol' functionality provided by
the plugin ? Are there any downstream consumers of the Eclipse OProfile
plugin that would object to the opcontrol functionality being removed ?
I've been considering simplifying the codebase for the plugin and removal
of this functionality seems like a good place to start as it's not the
default.

If there's no interest in the legacy mode (opcontrol), or no interest in
maintaining it then I would propose we look at removing 'opcontrol'
functionality from the Eclise Oprofile plugin as part of the Linux Tools
Oxygen contribution. The plugin would continue to use 'operf' and any
associated tools for profiling capabilities.

Interested in hearing other's thoughts,
--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top