Re: [linuxtools-dev] Contributing to the Docker tools

Thanks for your answer Roland. I've added some comments below.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Roland Grunberg <rgrunber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Basically doclipser [1] is an Xtext plugin for Dockerfiles grammar with some
> extra code do add items on the "Run as" menu to execute Docker commands.
> There is almost no overlap with the Docker tools you wrote so it makes sense
> to merge it all together.

This sounds great! We've wanted to improve the user experience for editing
Dockerfiles for some time. One entry point would be in our ImageBuildPage
where a very basic dialog is opened with a basic text area for editing.

Ok I will look at ImageBuildPage then.

In addition from the context of the editor, your contribution could take
advantage of the API we have for building images/running containers.

> I will look at the linux-tools code in the next days to understand what's the
> best way to start and will be back to you with a proposal.
>
> In the meantime please let me know if you have any concerts or suggestions.

Observations from just a quick look over the code :

- I See you're using spotify/docker-client as your main client but also have
some support for dockerjava. We ended up going with spotify/docker-client so
if all functionality is supported with this, I think integrating should be
very easy

Yes no problem, all functionalities are supported with spotify/docker

- You seem to be bundling (Bundle-ClassPath) docker-client into
com.zenika.doclipser.api to make it available but ideally we'd have to provide
it as a proper OSGi bundle like everything else. Maybe you looked at the various
dependencies it has and realized it'd be a lot to provide a manifest for
everything. We've actually gone through this process for docker-client at
Eclipse Orbit, so you would be able to simply do something like 'Require-Bundle:
com.spotify.docker.client' and it would work as expected.

That's perfect

- Dependencies of the project seem sane so I don't see us filing any
additional CQs if we merge the codebase

- The project builds with Tycho, so that would make integrating with our
build simpler

- The code seems to be entirely done mainly by you so the legal process should
be simpler (also because it's EPL), although you might need to sign the
Eclipse CLA (not entirely sure here)

Thanks for taking the time to write, and I'm looking forward to being able to
merge this :)

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg