[linuxtools-dev] Linux Diagnostic and Monitoring Workgroup Participation?

Hi,

The Linux Foundation Board of Directors has accepted the Diagnostic and
Monitoring (DiaMon) Workgroup, we will announce it next Monday in

Düsseldorf at the Tracing Summit 2014 co-located with LinuxCon Europe.

The goal of DiaMon is to improve open-source user-space, hardware

and middleware diagnostic and monitoring software, you can find web

site draft at http://diamon.org.

The complexity of systems is growing rapidly, multi-core introduces
notoriously difficult-to-find bugs, hypervisors, virtual machines,
middleware and cloud technologies create extra layers, heterogeneous
systems are now common in embedded systems, the Internet of Things
requires interactions between different types of devices, etc. The
increased complexity is creating tricky problems requiring a significant
amount of investigation with programs that are not typically created to
be diagnosed together, e.g. open source components, libraries, in house
code, proprietary third party, etc. With open source adoption we now
have the opportunity to create a de-facto widely used tracing and
monitoring infrastructure. We would like to improve interoperability
between those tools, as well as improve Linux-based tracing, profiling,
logging, and monitoring features. We would like to accelerate this
development by making it easier to work together on common pieces.

DiaMon has an efficient and simple governance model, mainly aiming

at facilitating collaboration between companies and developers, enabling

end users to share their use-cases and feedback on future improvements.

The main expected result is improving open source user-space, hardware

and middleware diagnostic and monitoring software to solve real world

problems. Eventually, the Workgroup will also be a place to host open

source software that addresses diagnostic and monitoring problems.

We are still in the setup phase. Your input regarding the Workgroup
goals and structure is welcome.

Please let us know within a week or two if you want to be part of the

initial DiaMon members.

Best Regards,

cid:8fd03bf8bfa781a0c0f676a5bd7d93db88799ab4@zimbra

Dominique Toupin & Mathieu Desnoyers