[linuxtools-dev] Feature/Plugin versioning policy

There a few different policies for bumping versions for features/plugins.

We don't have a hard-set policy, but some of us are bumping up features to
the Linux Tools release number and others are bumping up a plugin/feature by one depending on whether we
are doing a major release, minor release, or point release.

The CDT bumps up all their plug-ins/features to the current release number, but I personally don't like
that policy as it can imply a major change to a plug-in has been made and thus API is not guaranteed when
no API changes may have occurred.

I would like to suggest that code changes made to a plug-in or feature will cause the
version to bump to the next Linux Tools release, regardless of the current value.
All plug-ins/features that don't change are left alone.  The first person to make a change
must change the plug-in version and its associated feature version and this should be reviewed
in gerrit.

This makes it simple to know what has actually been changed in a release vs what has simply
been rebuilt.  The @since tags then make more sense as to figuring out when changes were made.

If people like this, I'll add it to the wiki.

-- Jeff J.

Back to the top