Re: [linuxtools-dev] Branching strategy for Luna

The stable-3.0 branch has been created.  Basically, a new branch is created around RC1
time so we can ensure people aren't jamming new features into the build.  I have
requested a new Hudson job for building this new branch.

Whether we put API-breaking stuff into master usually has depended on how we intend
to do releases.  In the past, LTTng had kept API-breaking stuff in their own branch
since the code wouldn't be added until the next year's release and there were a number
of minor releases between then.

I personally prefer that master be the base of the next release (minor or major) and
if there is a need for a separate branch due to future release issues, then we create that separate
branch and separate Hudson job.  This allows end-users to use updates-nightly consistently.  It
is always the next future release.

So, in this case, I would not suggest we break API in master and that we instead
add a master-4.0 branch for work that is meant for next June.  When 4.0 is the
next release (at least Feb), we can merge over into master.  I can set up a separate Hudson instance for
it and then users know what is what (updates-nightly-4.0 vs updates-nightly).  This would
also prevent LTTng from having to do the build.

Feel free to comment.

-- Jeff J.