From: linuxtools-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linuxtools-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aleksandar Kurtakov
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:05 PM
To: Linux Tools developer discussions
Subject: Re: [linuxtools-dev] Change ValgrindCoreParser to support different valgrind output format

----- Original Message -----

In general, adding support for custom(not-upstream) formats is not of interest, but if one is willing to help us making better tool we are more than interested to work together.

> There are two possible solutions:
>
> 1) Move ValgrindCoreParser to a public package and introduce a new
> ‘parseFilename’ method

What semantics would you put in such a method? Do you mean parse(fileName) or parseFilename as a workaround to plugin currently retrieving pid from filename and if you use different naming scheme it will fail for you.

> 2) Modify the ValgrindCoreParse to support different formats

This might be a better option if done carefully to really define and document good API for valgrind plugin.

> Could you please advise what the best solution would be for this case?

Start with opening a bug about that.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team