Re: [linuxtools-dev] perf probe & SW event duration

Hello,

Which kernel and perf version are you using? Which arch?

On a quick google search (my kernel is old and this perf doesn't have
the "probe" command, incoming re-install) I found out the error you're
experiencing in the perf source code:

---------

        init_vmlinux();

        if (session.need_dwarf)
#ifdef NO_DWARF_SUPPORT
                 die("Debuginfo-analysis is not supported");

---------

So my first guess was that there is something missing from perf or the
kernel itself, related to this NO_DWARF_SUPPORT. After further research
I've found the following presentation:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/slides/lfcs2010_hiramatsu.pdf

Going to slide 25, it says:

"Elfutils(Libdw)

● Dwarf format (debuginfo) analysis library
– Developed closely with GCC.
● Without elfutils, perf probe can't support debuginfo "

In fedora/RHEL the following packages were a match for "elfutils":

============================ N/S Matched: elfutils
=============================
elfutils.x86_64 : A collection of utilities and DSOs to handle compiled
objects
elfutils-devel.i686 : Development libraries to handle compiled objects
elfutils-devel.x86_64 : Development libraries to handle compiled objects
elfutils-devel-static.x86_64 : Static archives to handle compiled
objects
elfutils-libelf.i686 : Library to read and write ELF files
elfutils-libelf.x86_64 : Library to read and write ELF files
elfutils-libelf-devel.i686 : Development support for libelf
elfutils-libelf-devel.x86_64 : Development support for libelf
elfutils-libelf-devel-static.x86_64 : Static archive of libelf
elfutils-libs.i686 : Libraries to handle compiled objects
elfutils-libs.x86_64 : Libraries to handle compiled objects

TL;DR: What I would try to do is install all the elfutils packages and
see if you can run perf probe. If the error persists then you'll need to
dig deeper, maybe even posting this question in a kernel mailing list.

Hope that helps,

daniel