Re: [linuxtools-dev] [TMF] New Features in TMF about filters expressions

Hey Florian,

Welcome to the cyberspace bulletin board of linux tools. Great to see your feedback! So first, could you differentiate string from identifiers? Is RUNNING a value or a variable? I'm asking because if it's ambiguous.

Can we have "/jazz/blues/artist == ${/artist}" ?
Just out of curiosity, why not substring searches. Here's a real world example.

You have a multi-threaded game you're tracing, let's call it "Doom"
Now it registers thread names as "Doom:PIDNum" or "Doom:audio" "Doom:video" "Doom:AI" "Doom:physics[num]"
I think people would want- No- DEMAND! ;) that you have
/processes/*/name.contains("Doom")
                  ^---- Wildcard

Also, the Java .equals may be less ambiguous than the C == for string comparisons.
As for speed, the state system is made to be queried not so often, some regex stuff may add more features while not killing performance as much as you would think.

Food for thought. I am expecting to be proven wrong on this very soon.

Cheers,

Matthew

PS. please feel free to rebuke/ignore my arguments with vehemence, I am just shooting out ideas to make sure when it's time to implement you're sure it's what you want.