[linuxtools-dev] extending TMF time chart viewer tooltips

Hi all,

I have been playing with some ideas for a trace viewer, and have made a couple of extensions that I am interested in contributing/getting feedback on.

I was looking at the "Time Chart" control that allows you to see correlation between events in various traces.  It is  particular interesting in that you can see kernel + ust events and such side by side.  I was curious why the tooltips didn't include information on the events?

So, playing with this a bit I added access to the underlying ITmfEvent instance into the ITimeEvent class. Then in TimeGraphPresentationProvider.getEventHoverToolTipInfo it was possible to get the event type and various attribute values from the event and add them to the tooltip.   Have a look at screenshot time-chart-before.png and time-chart-with-all-event-attributes.

While I think this is an improvement, I don't think that the code changes are all that is desireable here.  (I added about 10 lines total).  I think that the right way to do this is to have an extension point for factories for tooltips that are trace specific. So then a plugin can provide the implementation of this tooltip factory, and then do whatever it wants that is trace/event specific.  The default implementation would probably look like what I have here, a little smarter in terms of at least showing the attributes common to all events.

thoughts?
Aaron