Re: [linuxtools-dev] launching valgrind from CDT crashes on startup

> I scoured the eclipse bug database, the eclipse forums and the
> linuxtool archives, and haven't seen anything on this. Looks like
> ValgrindCommand.java can't read it's version number?
>
> I can't launch Valgrind from CDT, I get an NPE:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
>         org.eclipse.linuxtools.internal.valgrind.core.ValgrindCommand.readIntoBuffer(ValgrindCommand.java:82)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.linuxtools.internal.valgrind.core.ValgrindCommand.whichVersion(ValgrindCommand.java:36)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.linuxtools.internal.valgrind.launch.ValgrindLaunchPlugin.getValgrindVersion(ValgrindLaunchPlugin.java:120)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.linuxtools.internal.valgrind.launch.ValgrindLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(ValgrindLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:114)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:855)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:704)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1047)
>         at
>         org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1251)
>         at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)

Looking at the stack trace, it seems like the Process object being created
at ValgrindCommand.java:35 is coming back null. Are there any additional
error messages in the Error Log view around the time this happens (maybe
something mentioning RuntimeProcessFactory) ?

If not, and given that this seems to be a local launch, I think something
might be going wrong in the CommandLauncher class. The strange thing is
that even the basic things like building a C/C++ project using make rely
on this class. When you build your C/C++ project are there any errors at
all in the error log view ?

I don't think I've seen something like this before, but if the code is
failing to create a Process object, we should give a better reason for
why this happens.

--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top