Re: [linuxtools-dev] Lttng2 issue

On 12-07-31 07:57 PM, Zhang, Jessica wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> When setting the lttng trace type only Generic CTF Trace is available, there's no kernel type option for me.  I think the plug-in has the capability to figure out the type option since the other day when I played with kernel tracing data, I only see Kernel Trace option.

The "Kernel Trace" is shipped in a separate plugin/feature. In Eclipse's
"Install New Software" dialog, it's called "LTTng Kernel Analysis". If
this part is not installed, the Kernel Trace type won't be available.

The trace import dialog should list all the types that are currently
available in the installation. Eventually we'll try to implement some
sort of auto-detection (or at least, highlight the types that are known
to be compatible with the selected trace).

> BTW, I believe I'm using the latest lttng2.  I'm attaching my tracing folder, so can you try to import it?

Strangely, I was able to import your trace fine, both as a Generic Trace
or as a Kernel Trace. That was with Eclipse 4.2 and Linux Tools 1.0
installed from the Eclipse repo.
I also tried with the current git master. There it imports fine as a
Generic Trace too, and correctly fails if I try the Kernel type (that
one would never fail in 1.0).

It's a relatively big trace too, ~265k events, so it's probably not the
1-packet bug I was mentioning earlier.

I'm wondering:
- Are you using Eclipse 3.8 or 4.2? On which distro?
- Can you try with Linux Tools 1.1? Most of the validation code was
(re)written then, so it could have fixed your issue.

Cheers,
Alexandre

--
Alexandre Montplaisir