Re: [linuxtools-dev] Gcov and Gprof plugins

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 17:09 -0400, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> Gprof and gcov get their data just by running the executable that has
> been compiled and linked with special compiler options.
>
> Valgrind and Oprofile have executables that must run (Valgind itself and
> opcontrol).

Ok, I understand the difference, but what I really meant is, instead of
parsing gmon.out as it is currently done, why not call binutils gprof
executable in the command line with proper arguments and then parse
OUTFILE ?

$ gprof OPTIONS [EXECUTABLE-FILE [PROFILE-DATA-FILES...]] [> OUTFILE]

> The plug-ins were written by separate developers so I would call the
> difference a product of necessity.  The gprof/gcov developer
> took advantage of the fact that running the executable was already
> supported and chose to focus on parsing and displaying the output data.
>
> As part of profiling unification, it would make sense to have gprof and
> gcov launchers that ran the executable.  For remote, this would be
> done remotely and the data acquired much like remote Valgrind does.
> A special dialog could be displayed if no output data files are found and
> instructions on how to compile the executable could be given: e.g.
> Autotools
> projects now have special options in configure settings to support both
> gprof
> and gcov.
>
> -- Jeff J.

Renato