Re: [linuxtools-dev] oprofile on remote targets

On 11/22/2011 11:29 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On 22/11/11 23:24, Corey Ashford wrote:
>
>>> sorry for delay -- I had to check some things. Yes, we plan to publish
>>> our changes in near future. I should warn that at present, our
>>> code is not entirely self-contained -- it uses some functionality
>>> from our product. However, I imagine the patch would still be
>>> useful as it does quite a few oprofile refactorings.
>>
>> Volodya,
>>
>> You mentioned on the Linux Tools "remote tools" call yesterday that you
>> are a couple of weeks from having an Oprofile plug-in working fairly
>> well (handling errors better and dealing with refreshing the launch
>> config when the target is changed).
>
> Yes, that's correct.
>
>> We are eager to have a look.  I would also like to have a go at
>> converting it to use Jeff Johnston's remote proxy classes.
>
> I am unsure about converting this to remote proxy classes. In our use
> case, the target is an embedded board, which might not have enough
> resources
> to compile complex projects. Admittedly, I haven't caught how those two
> approaches can coexist.

So you are in a cross compilation environment, it sounds like, but you
are running OProfile on the embedded target.  I think we can make that work.

>> Have you cleared any internal legal hurdles that are required before
>> making the code available publicly?
>
> Yes, I've got OK to submit this. As I've mentioned, it's fairly big
> change, so how would you propose we handle it?

Create an enhancement bugzilla to add remote capability to the OProfile
plug-in.  Then, if you don't already have a github tree for the linux
tools source tree, create one (@ www.github.com).  Post your branch up
there, and then post to the bugzilla the location on github and the name
of the branch.

Andrew, please correct me if you rather this be done in a different way.

- Corey

Back to the top