Re: [linuxtools-dev] Trying to get the eclipse linuxtools to work - New problem

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:46:37 -0400
From: Patrick Tasse <patrick.tasse@xxxxxxxxx>

> Are you using the latest lttng-agent code (dated 2011-08-12)? This one has a
> fix for corrupted traces when streaming through the network in overload
> conditions. And it is very possible that the kernel traces produce more
> events than the network connection can handle. Even without corruption, you
> could expect a lot of missing events.

   I indeed used lttng-agent-7a8767c, dated 2011-08-12 15:02 ...at both ends.  At least for the last trace anyway, and that last trace is as toxic as the others.  I need to double-check if a non-Eclipse trace (using tcf-client) will have the same toxicity.  I may be inadvertently setting some trace properties differently because the nomenclatures are so different.  I'll report on that once it's done.

> If the traces are corrupt, this can cause the libtraceread C library to have
> a segmentation fault. Unfortunately we can't catch that in the Eclipse java
> code, so the whole Eclipse dies, as you have noticed. It should leave a log
> in your Eclipse directory called hs_err_pid*.log. We sometimes can figure
> out where it crashes in the C library.

   No such log in the Eclipse directory, in the workspace directory, or anywhere else.  I guess this means libtraceread needs to be improved so it fails gracefully.

> It might not be the type of markers to be disabled that makes a difference,
> but rather the fact that those markers generate a high load of events.

   That makes sense.

> I don't think you should try importing a trace without its metadata. It's
> normal if that fails!

   Then shouldn't the import dialog prevent us from doing so?

Daniel U. Thibault
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
Système de systèmes (SdS) / System of Systems (SoS)
Solutions informatiques et expérimentations (SIE) / Computing Solutions and Experimentations (CSE)
2459 Boul. Pie XI Nord
Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
NAC: 918V QSDJ
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
<http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>

Back to the top