Re: [linuxtools-dev] Attention: Major changes for Tycho 0.13 compatibility

On 09/27/2011 11:57 AM, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:
Everyone,
Please pay attention to this mail.
Tycho 0.13 requires that the feature ids and bundle symbolic name match maven
artifactId. Also note that one can't have the same groupId:artifactId for two
modules and this is the main problem because a number of our modules are
having the same feature id and symbolic name for the main bundle.
  Almost all subprojects have this problem - autotools, changelog, gcov, gprof,
lttng and etc. (I didn't cared to check the rest).
Please take care of your modules so the feature id/bundle symbolic name match
the artifactId. If nothing happens on given module I'll start modifying
modules on October 10th to fix the build with tycho 0.13 using the following
rules:
* if feature and bundle have the same id - I'll rename the feature making it
$currentName.feature . The reason behind is that it's way easier to handle
feature renames than bundle renames (Require-Bundle in downstream projects and
etc.)
* if pom.xml and feature.xml/manifest.mf files use different ids - use whichever
of the two ids that's closer to the directory it is in the checkout

Alex,

Would it not make more sense to rename the maven groupid out of the way to prevent an upgrade path problem to our users? For example, if the groupid is org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools, it could instead be org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools-groupid or .groupid (if dashes are not allowed in groupid).

This way, the feature artifactid could take a feature id that doesn't specify "feature" and there wouldn't be any upgrade issues.

Am I missing anything?

-- Jeff J.
As we are getting close to our 1.0 I would ask subproject maintainers to
consider doing some moves, merges and so on to make our codebase look more
consistent. What I'm proposing now is RFC so feel free to improve it and we
will add it to the wiki:
1. Do we need test features? I don't see any benefit having them but I'm open
to hear the subprojects that use them what are the benefits. Personally I think
they are polluting the scm only - we run tests using bundles not features.
2. Agressive usage of features - There are cases (e.g libhover) where there is
almost a feature for every bundle. Is it really needed?  Can we simplify it
and use features for some bigger grouping?
3. Bundle/Feature naming - that's what provoked this mail, I appreciate the
fact that tycho devs showed the problem. It's confusing (at least) especially
in feature.xml files (include vs. import). My suggestion is to make the feature
have the module name (e.g. org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelog) and if there is a
module with the same name rename it to smth that describes it better e.g.
org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelog.core. Changelog is used intentionally because
it's already this way.

Any comments?

P.S. Don't forget that on October 10th switch to Tycho 0.13 will happen so
consider commenting sooner than later.

Alexander Kurtakov