Re: [linuxtools-dev] Attention: Major changes for Tycho 0.13 compatibility

Hi,

* Alexander Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> [2011-09-27 12:03]:
> Also note that one can't have the same groupId:artifactId for two
> modules and this is the main problem because a number of our modules are
> having the same feature id and symbolic name for the main bundle.

Should all of our group IDs be fully-qualified?  Could we instead make
them ex. "lttng"?  Having something like
org.eclipse.linuxtools:lttng:org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.core ?

> Please take care of your modules so the feature id/bundle symbolic name match
> the artifactId. If nothing happens on given module I'll start modifying
> modules on October 10th to fix the build with tycho 0.13 using the following
> rules:

These rules sound okay to me given the requirements.

Committers:  please fix things yourself so that Alex doesn't have to
make these changes.

> * if feature and bundle have the same id - I'll rename the feature making it
> $currentName.feature

Don't forget we'll have to reflect this change in the simultaneous
release b3aggr files and in the EPP feature.xml.  Both are referenced on
our releng wiki page.

> 1. Do we need test features?

Not anymore.

> 2. Agressive usage of features - There are cases (e.g libhover) where there is
> almost a feature for every bundle. Is it really needed?  Can we simplify it
> and use features for some bigger grouping?

I'll let Jeff comment on this.

> 3. Bundle/Feature naming - that's what provoked this mail, I appreciate the
> fact that tycho devs showed the problem. It's confusing (at least) especially
> in feature.xml files (include vs. import). My suggestion is to make the feature
> have the module name (e.g. org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelog) and if there is a
> module with the same name rename it to smth that describes it better e.g.
> org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelog.core. Changelog is used intentionally because
> it's already this way.

+1 for clean core/UI separation and clearer bundle names.  Note that
bundle re-names will affect consumers just like you mentioned earlier,
Alex, so we should be _very_ careful about such changes.

Andrew

Back to the top