Re: [linuxtools-dev] The location of Linux Tools Project executables

On 06/21/2011 05:54 AM, Daniel HB wrote:
Hey Corey!

I think it's a good idea but I don't think, unfortunately, that is
simple to implement in the case of the Oprofile plugin. It uses a script
to add an entry in the sudoers (Suse) or add a security wrapper for
consolehelper (RHEL). After that it executes the tool using a symbolic
link located inside its own plugin dir (under /scripts/natives/linux dir
or something like that). Both procedures require a path to the oprofile
binary and root access.

That's a good point that hadn't occurred to me. I don't know enough about the PolicyKit authentication system that is to be used in the future, but for the old mechanism, if we are using sudoers, we wouldn't need the symbolic link at all; we can just invoke the executable directly.

But you're right about the consolehelper option, that's difficult to solve using the mechanism I suggested. We'd probably need multiple consolehelper links, each invoking a different opcontrol program.

To make it work properly, OProfile_Root_Path must contain a symbolic
link created by the install script of Oprofile. That's quite a strong
assumption IMO.

Apart from this Oprofile setup I think we can make all the others work.
However I'm not certain about adding such such customization plug-in as
a prerequisite for Linuxtools install. If we could make it optional,
ensuring that the Linuxtools plug-ins would work as is without this
customization, the better.

That was the idea behind having the tools look for the persistent per-project root path variable and if it doesn't find one, it just invokes the tool, hoping the that the system will find the tool somewhere in $PATH.

- Corey

Back to the top