Re: [linuxtools-dev] Where is libstdc++ documentation. Must I generate it?

On 06/18/2011 05:33 AM, Germán Diago wrote:
Hello. I'm trying the latest development release of eclipse linuxtools and cdt.
I cannot figure out how to install the libstdc++ documentation.
In the documentation areas I can select devhelp documentation and glibc
documentation.

I would like to:

1.- have hovers for libstdc++,
and, if possible,

These are shipped in Fedora's eclipse-cdt package, but cannot be shipped via the Eclipse update site. The problem is that the libstdc++ documentation has been licensed GPL. This is due to doxygen comments being taken from the code which is GPL. In our minds, comments are simply that: comments, and this work should be licensed under the GFDL, but RMS (Richard Stallman) has rejected this. The maintainers of gcc/libstdc++ agree with us, but that doesn't change things.

GPL licensed code cannot be hosted at Eclipse.org.

2.- to configure the documentation for libgtkmm (which has devhelp support).

and, as an extra, but I don't mind too much

We currently don't have support for C++ devhelp libraries, but there is an open enhancment request to add this and we hope to work on this in the near future.

3.- Generate documentation for my own libraries (which is written in doxygen)

I looked at the
documentation included in the help contents but I cannot figure out how to
do it and I can't find the tools to generate the documentation .libhover file.
Besides that, I don't know if I must edit an xml or something else additionally.

The documentation documents the class DoxygenCPPInfo which is found in the org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.libhover.libstdcxx source code which you will have to download from the LinuxTools git repository (it is not provided from the update sites due to the licensing issue above):

git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.git

checkout libhover/org.eclipse.linuxtools.cddt.libhover.libstdcxx into your workspace.

DoxygenCPPInfo isn't particularly elegant and is specialized to handle libstdc++, but might work for your purposes.

Could you instruct me on how to do it? If there is somewhere else where to
install libstdc++ documentation from, it would be ideal.

How to do it would be to try the DoxygenCPPInfo application, passing in your file as input and specifying the output file (see main method).

If it doesn't work, then you will need to debug to see what additions/changes would be required.

Regarding elsewhere to install libstdc++ documentation from:

You could always download the source for libhover/org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.libhover.libstdcxx and then right-click and Export->Plug-in Development->Deployable Plug-ins and Features

Choose a directory to place the result and then do an

Import->Plug-in Development->Plug-ins and Fragments

Specify the same directory and you can import the plug-in. Note that the libstdcxx plugin by default loads the data from sourceware.org via a URL. You should only have to do this once per workspace as the default is to cache libhover data.

Regards,

-- Jeff J.

Back to the top