Re: [linuxtools-dev] Generation of Help html files from the Linux Tools wiki

On 06/16/2011 01:54 PM, Corey Ashford wrote:
On 06/16/2011 10:40 AM, Andrew Overholt wrote:
* Corey Ashford<cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  [2011-06-16 13:02]:
On 06/16/2011 06:19 AM, Andrew Overholt wrote:
Hi,

However, as I understand it, the "how to update these pages" information
seems to imply that the files are generated from the wiki somewhow.  Is
this really true, or is it only a plan to do this at some point?

The pages are generated with Mylyn's WikiText tools.  There is a file
like build-helper.xml in the .doc plugins that calls the WikiText ant
tasks to generate the HTML files.  We store a snapshot of the HTML in
git so that we do not rely on the wiki being up or the content being
sanitized at all times.

If there are issues with the generated HTML, bugs should be filed with
Mylyn WikiText:

OK.  I don't know whether it is a bug with WikiText or someone mucked
with it afterward (I suspect the latter).

I highly doubt anyone manually edited it.  I've seen manual edits for
touching up the removal of the {{{eclipseproject.linuxtools}}} stuff,
but I don't think this is that common.

   https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mylyn%20Docs&component=Wikitext

Another related question, would you be interested in a patch that makes
these doc changes?

Patches are always welcome :)

OK, but it sounds like the next time you run the
WikiText/build-helper.xml it will overwrite any of the changes I've
made, won't it?

Yeah.  I meant a patch to the mediawiki sources on wiki.eclipse.org.

Got it.  Ok, thanks.

FWIW, I just added book.css to the top-level for Callgraph, ChangeLog, Gcov, Gprof, Autotools, OProfile, LTTng, and Valgrind docs. There was already an automated reference from wikitext to this top-level file but it didn't appear in any of these plug-ins (i.e. regenerating won't cause an issue). I copied the help.css file from the CDT docs to emulate what you were doing.

-- Jeff J.

Back to the top