Re: [linuxtools-dev] Re: Linux-only features

On 04/13/2010 04:39 PM, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> My concern is user expectations.  If we just leave it in there for all
> OSes, people will assume it's been well-tested on all OSes.  I'm
> inclined to restrict it to Linux-only for now and request testing on
> other operating systems.  I'm willing to be swayed in opinion if Jeff or
> someone else has strong feelings.

Just to chime in with an outside opinion, I think it's better to err on the side of allowing these features to be installed anywhere unless they really will only ever run on linux (i.e., non-optional dependency on bundles with Linux-specific native code).  You should document what platforms you officially support, but I think there is benefit in allowing people to install the features on unsupported platforms. This can only help to grow your user and potential contributor base. I know with the Eclipse platform, there are people who run it on OSes we don't officially support, and we get the occasional contribution back that helps us run better on those unsupported platforms. They are even welcome to enter bugs, but we'll give main priority to bugs reproducible on supported platforms. User expectations has never been a big problem, since we can always refer them to our plan, etc, that clearly list what is supported. Anyway, I don't know the specific details about many of your tools, but thought I'd offer my perspective.

John

Back to the top