Re: [linuxtools-dev] Move to git?

----- "Andrew Overholt" <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here are my reasons _for_ participating:
>
> - many FOSS projects are already using git and thus people are
> familiar
>   with it and thus will hopefully be more likely to contribute to our
>   project if they know how to use/contribute with git
> - it makes it easier for some distributions to track eclipse-build
>   (Debian is already doing this)
> - we can maybe get hooked up with Gerrit a la
> http://egit.eclipse.org/r
> - we can help dogfood EGit which is very important to increasing the
>   contributor base with existing FOSS hackers
> - if we mess up, we still have our SVN repo

git++

Also, we would use both SVN and git? How would the history work between
them? (i.e. would we need a script that mirrors git changes to SVN or
vice-versa?)

If we're using both the costs aren't too bad. We end up giving people new
to the project an alternate (possibly easier, for them) way to contribute
without making life any more difficult for existing contributors (except
Andrew, who it seems will have to do a lot of rewriting :()

Plus if we're using both SVN and EGit we'd be in a great spot to make
suggestions re: making SVN/git plugins look more uniform, since there are
currently some discrepancies.

-Charley

Back to the top