Re: [linuxtools-dev] LTTng question

* William Bourque (william.bourque@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Xavier RAYNAUD wrote:

[...]

> > I guess I've compiled a wrong version of LTTv application ?
> > Which one should I use instead ?
>

> Hi,
>
> The help files and the instruction are (already?) a bit outdated, as
> well as the sample trace given with the plugin. The traces currently
> given with the plugin are no longer compatible with the reading code.
> The traces should have been changed already, we will make sure to push
> new sample traces today (and to remove the old one). You could also
> record one if you have installed the latest Lttng kernel patches.
>
> Also, make sure to use the latest version of the Lttv C library (you
> better use the one at
> http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/?p=liblttngtrace.git;a=summary  for now,
> some changes are not yet been pushed to the main tree).
>
> Sorry about that, we kind of forgot about these.
>

> To tell you the exact technical details, what's happen is that our
> Eclipse plugin use some JNI code to load the C library that handle
> parsing and/or moving in the traces. It's the library that is giving you
> the warnings and debug information you see.
> The library itself is part of the Lttv application and is developped by
> another open source project (lttng.org) not related to linuxtools or
> Eclipse. The problem that this team recently decide to change their
> trace format, so our old trace are no longer supported by their library.
> We had already planned to support multiple trace version at the same
> time but it's not ready yet so for now we decide to stick with their
> latest version. We are currently working with the Lttng.org team so they
> add what we need in their library to support multiple trace format,
> hopefully it should be ready for the next release of linuxtools.

Hi William,

You should probably create your own "compatibility list" which you post
on a website so your users (and yourself) remember which versions fit
together in the future. Saying "use the latest version" is vague and
does not tell much when someone read a mailing list archive one month in
the future.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--