Re: [linuxtools-dev] Rebuilding with Source Modifications

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Roland Grunberg wrote:

  2. Is there some way to convince the build to just recompile the source
     files which have changed?  Looking at a few of the low-level build.xml
     files, I see that the pattern is to create a @dot directory if it
     doesn't already exist and compile the code into there.  If that
     directory already exists (which can happen if you pass -Dnoclean=true
     to the Ant process), it won't do anything - even if one or more of the
     source files has changed.

I'm not sure how useful this may be but I've occasionally needed to make changes
to the test sources, and then re-run the sdk tests. I would basically just do a
clean on the source directory then regenerate the jar file. Then I'd just copy
over the jar to where the tests get installed. There's some small documentation
here : http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Eclipse_Build/Tests

Yes, thanks - that's very helpful.  This works for me:

(cd build/eclipse-R3_5_1-fetched-src/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher
ant clean ../../installation/eclipse -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner build.update.jar
cp org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar ../../installation/plugins/)

I'll probably start writing a makefile with a rule for each .jar file I care about which depends on the corresponding .java files and rebuilds it using commands such as the above. That will make my life a lot easier.

Back to the top