From: linuxtools-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linuxtools-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ext Dominique Toupin
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:43 AM
To: Linux Tools developer discussions
Subject: [linuxtools-dev] RE: Trace and Monitoring Framework

Hi Marc,

The tracing framework will not be limited to Linux, the reference implementation is for Linux because it's easy for an open source community and universities, etc. to do implementation with Linux, the same concept, techniques, algorithms are applicable to other OS. We also like working with RedHat so Linux Tools was a good place to put TMF.

Already other OS can out-put the same self describing optimized binary format, they will then re-use many parts of the TMF as-is, things like view, navigation, analysis, . Nokia already did contribution to LTTng you might have internal knowledge on how to do this, if not you can check-out www.lttng.org and ask questions on http://lists.casi.polymtl.ca/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ltt-dev.

If you are using text files you will see next year text log support which are not dependent on the OS.

Best Regards,

Dominique