Re: [linuxtools-dev] Trace and Monitoring Framework

Humm,

I think Marc refers to the TMF component of LTTng which doesn't have much to do with editors :-)

> (1) Is this in your scope to allow different OSes to potentially re-use TMF?

TMF focuses on the control of local/remote tracing tools and then retrieval and analysis of the traces produced. The intent is to connect to remote targets (over RSE, using TCF) . As a proof of concept, we are integrating LTTng (Linux Tracing Toolkit).

> (2) What is the progress and plan update?

Our first goal is to provide feature parity with LTTv. We uploaded a first pre-pre-pre-alpha version of LTTng sitting over TMF. We are not yet part of the Linux Tools release train but expect to join for the next delivery (v0.5) in 7-8 weeks. V1.0 should happen with Helios.

> (3) Are they any developer guide and architectural documents?

We have an out-of-date web page (http://www.eclipse.org/linuxtools/projectPages/lttng/) and a bit of documentation in the org.eclipse.linuxtools.tmf.doc plugin (http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/lttng/trunk/org.eclipse.linuxtools.tmf.doc/models/?root=Technology_LINUXTOOLS).

Note that all this is still very much in flux. Actually, we are revisiting some parts of the design right now (I'm in a meeting break :-)

Comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
/fc

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Roland Grunberg <rgrunber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>We are currently working on framework with identical challenges with regards to adding trace-driven performance tools (cpu profiler, memory analysis) to Carbide.c++ IDE for Symbian developers.

>(1) Is this in your scope to allow different OSes to potentially re-use TMF?

I don't believe this is in our scope. I've taken a look at TMF (in particular
Xtext) and it looks pretty interesting. Seems like a good start for quickly
creating an editor in which to script for a certain language.

The only project here I know of that attempts to provide an editor is the
one for SystemTap :

http://www.eclipse.org/linuxtools/projectPages/systemtap/

I'm not sure exactly on the details or if it could have been done through
XText.

Hope this was helpful,
--
Roland Grunberg