Re: [linux-distros-dev] Introduction

Hi James,

* James Tait <james.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008-12-16 19:56]:
> I came across this list via the java-pkg-maintainers list in Debian,
> which I picked up on via a Launchpad bug to get Eclipse 3.4 packaged for
> Ubuntu.  I'm not sure in what capacity I'll be able to help, time is a
> constraint and I have no prior packaging experience, but I'm happy to
> chip in where I can.

Great to have you interested!  We're very interested in working together
so that all distros can easily build and include lots of Eclipse bits
and we can share our common problems and techniques.

I should probably point out that the distribution collaboration tasks of
our project are just one of two areas of focus; the other is tools for
Linux developers.  We are currently working on tools for profiling with
Valgrind and OProfile and already have tools for working with RPM
specfiles and ChangeLog files.  There's also work underway on an editor
for Systemtap scripts and tools to generate RPM specfiles directly from
Eclipse features.  Hopefully we can make the packaging stuff useful to
all distributions and make the tools even more useful than they already
are and get them into as many distributions as possible.

For anyone out there looking for a way to help, this is your chance:  we
need a better web presence.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just
a few static pages with screenshots, information on how to join and what
our plans are.  I plan to work on this over the holidays here but if
anyone would like to help out, I'd really appreciate it.

Take care,

Andrew

Back to the top