Re: [linux-distros-dev] Native eclipse / gcj-compiled

Thomas> Wouldn't it become much faster if it would be compiled? Is
Thomas> there a How-to for compiling my own eclipse from source with
Thomas> gcj?

There's some info on the GCC wiki about the "binary compatibility"
ABI.  This explains how Eclipse, and other applications, are compiled
using a modern gcj.

Pre-compilation does not always guarantee a performance boost.  The
tradeoffs are complicated.  My experience with Eclipse is that it
generally runs about as well, though I have heard the occasional
complaint that the gcj-compiled version uses more memory.  (I have no
idea whether that is accurate.)

Tom

Back to the top