Re: [linux-distros-dev] EPP and my thoughts about Linux installers

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-23-04 at 15:42 +0200, Markus Knauer wrote:

> we were talking about this issue at the Ganymede Provisioning Workshop: Should
> we from EPP provide an installer for the Linux platform? That was mentioned
> in our project proposal, but things can change over time.

Sorry that I haven't responded until now.  I've been away from email for
a bit while travelling.

I *personally* don't see the value in this kind of installer for Linux
but maybe that's 'cause I'm a Linux distro user.  However, many people
are Windows users who are using Linux for the first time and do not see
the value in the package management system provided by the distribution.
Or perhaps what they're looking for isn't available in their
distribution.  Until we get everything possible packaged up in every
distribution, it may make sense for EPP to provide some sort of
InstallShield-like GUI installer like on Windows.  What do others think?
What is EPP doing on Mac OS?  I'm just thinking out loud now, but should
EPP's non-Windows focus become tooling to make distributions for those
OSes?

Of course, I'd greatly welcome contributors to our efforts to ease the
packaging of Eclipse projects as native Linux packages :) .  If we can
get to the point that it is just a few simple button presses, it then
becomes up to the various distributions to attract and maintain
packagers.

I'm curious as to why there haven't been any other responses.  Do others
just not have opinions?

> Now I've written a few lines about this on the EPP mailinglist:
>
>   http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epp-dev/msg00013.html

I will take a look at this when I have an internet connection again and
will comment then.

Thanks,

Andrew