Re: [linux-distros-dev] auto-provides and requires for OSGi packages

A long time ago, when we started jar'ing plug-ins we tried to convince
everyone that manifests were the way to go, however we did not succeed.
Part of it was "why should we do something for eclipse" (osgi had not been
over-hyped) but also that eclipse was using non-standards headers in the
manifest. Since then the situation has improved a lot, especially with OSGi
R4.1, however there are still some corner cases that would have to be
handled (buddy-loading).
In the end I think we still have a long way to go because to be reusable as
is jar producers would have to:
      - understand how to build good manifests
      - update their version properly
      - put the license files in the bundle
      - make sure that the manifest keys are translatable
      - stop shipping the whole world with their library

To make that happen, eclipse can not be the only one to push. We (as
consumers of stuffs) need to agree as to what we want to be produced, and
then have a coordinated push.
<evilplan> if we are fast enough, we will be the de-facto
standard.....</evilplan>

PaScaL

             Andrew Overholt
             <overholt@redhat.
             Sent by:                  Ben Konrath <bkonrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
             linux-distros-dev                                          cc
             -bounces@eclipse.         fedora-devel-java-list@xxxxxxxxxx,
             org                       linux-distros-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [linux-distros-dev]
             03/29/2007 08:46          auto-provides and requires for OSGi
             AM                        packages

             Please respond to
              Andrew Overholt
             <overholt@redhat.
                   com>

Hi,

* Ben Konrath <bkonrath@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-03-29 03:43]:

> IMO it would be much better for the Orbit project to undertake the
> task of getting the manifests in the upstream jars. That would allow
> them to put a process in place to update the manifests when the need
> arises.

I fully agree.  I don't know why I suggested it earlier - I guess to
play the devil's advocate :)

Thanks,

Andrew
(See attached file: attb10ds.dat)