Re: [linux-distros-dev] How to tackle bugs in another bug tracking system?

Remy Chi Jian Suen wrote:
Hi everyone,

There are some issues filed for the ChangeLog plug-in in Red Hat's
bugzilla that I would like to tackle but am unsure on what's the
agreed-upon protocol here (if any).

If something migrates from one place to another, do we want to create
fresh bugs in Eclipse's bugzilla that mirrors those bugs or do we want
to comment/clean them up in the original bug tracking system? There
are of course pros and cons with both solutions.

IMHO, I really think they should be moved, personally. The bugs will be fixed in eclipse.org repository, and they should have eclipse.org bugzilla trackers. Maybe once the bug is closed in Eclipse.org bugzilla, cross propagation of the changelog entry and bz link to the Red Hat bz, and closed there too? Eventually these will dwindle to nothing.

I have some pending patches for the GNU formatter (well, really, a rewrite that is pending committer access) that might close off a bunch of those bugs.

I vote for the former since I think we should just "get things over
with" while our project is still young. If our users starts getting
redirected to Eclipse.org now, we will have less communication
problems in the future, and that is a huge roadblock, or possibly a
bane, to any open source project.

Agreed.

Regards

Phil Muldoon