Re: [linux-distros-dev] eclipse-build sub-project

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 11:48 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> Ben Konrath wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > There was some talk at the IRC meeting of making an eclipse-build
> > similar to the ooo-build that's in hosted at gnome.org. I let the idea
> > stew for a little bit and I think that it would be very beneficial.
> >
> > I'd like to get an idea of how people think we should proceed and what
> > kind of features we want. Here's a brain dump of my initial thoughts:
> >
> > * build technology / language to use: shell? python? something
> >   else?
> >
> Shell is probably the most ubiquitous. Also, ebuilds and specs are
> mostly shell already, so migrating changes to/from these to the build
> script would be easy.

Ok, sounds good.

> > * patch selection: do we check in all our patches and have a conf file
> >   to select the patches we want? or another way?
> >
> The idea about having a conf file sounds like it would work. It might
> also be useful to be able to specify them on the fly, as in, command
> line arguments.

Ok, I'll investigate this. I'm going to see if I can re-use the patch
selection code from ooo-build but there might be a license incompatibly
there. I'll have to check it out.

> > * how we deal with the seamokey vs. mozilla vs. firefox dep.
> > * FHS compliance: Fedora/Red Hat packages need this, but is everybody
> >   else interested in this? If not, we need the ability to turn this on
> >   and off
> >
> I'd be interested in this for Gentoo. I think it would probably be
> beneficial to everyone, as we'd be able to have standand filesystem
> layouts across distros.

My plan for this is to make it an option because I don't think that
Debian wants it right now.

> > * do we want consistent package names and contents?
> >
> I think we should aim to be as consistent as we can be, but I don't
> think this should be 100% required. In particular, we don't follow the
> debian naming schema, ie libfoo-java, so our swt package is just swt
> instead of libswt-java.

Agreed.

> > * do we want to provide official releases that we can reference as an
> >   upstream download or just use cvs snapshots?
> >
> We should definitely do some sort of official release. If it's just a
> versioned by the date, that'd be acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds good.

> > * anything else?
> >
> > I don't mind starting this project off by transferring the build we do
> > in Fedora to seed the project. But, I don't want this to become a Red
> > Hat only thing so I'm totally willing to compromise where necessary and
> > patch within the Fedora or Red Hat builds if need be. I also want
> > everyone to be a part of this build project so that the people who
> > maintain packages for any distro should feel comfortable committing to
> > the project. The whole point of this would be to save us all work and
> > let us co-maintain a set of standard Linux (maybe even Unix) Eclipse
> > build scripts.
> >
> I think that's fine. We end up using 90%+ of what you do anyways, so if
> that's the base, and we're able to twiddle off the things we don't use,
> that'd be great.

Perfect, that's what I was hoping for. I'm at Eclipse Con this week and
I'm planning to work on this next week. I have some non-eclipse related
work to do, but I think I should be able to make some progress. I'll
post a message here when I have something ready for testing.

Cheers, Ben

Back to the top