Re: [linux-distros-dev] eclipse-build sub-project

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 23:09 +0100, Michael Koch wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:41:53AM -0500, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > * build technology / language to use: shell? python? something
> >   else?
>
> Shell is something available everywhere.

Ok, any other opinions?

> > * patch selection: do we check in all our patches and have a conf file
> >   to select the patches we want? or another way?
>
> I think a conf file is okay.

Cool.

> > * how we deal with the seamokey vs. mozilla vs. firefox dep.
>
> That can be done by different patches applied in the different distros.

Sounds good.

> > * FHS compliance: Fedora/Red Hat packages need this, but is everybody
> >   else interested in this? If not, we need the ability to turn this on
> >   and off
>
> For now I would like to be able to turn it off.

Ok.

> > * do we want consistent package names and contents?
>
> I dont think thats always possible 100%. E.g. Debian has some rules when
> naming library packages like SWT. But for the big part of it we should
> have consistent names.

Can you elaborate on these rules. Andrew Overholt and I talked about
changing the name of the swt package. Perhaps we could adopt the Debian
naming policy for SWT.

> > * do we want to provide official releases that we can reference as an
> >   upstream download or just use cvs snapshots?
>
> Official releases (with selected backported patches if needed) should give
> us a good base.

Sounds good. I'll draft up a versioning policy similar to what ooo-build
has.

Thanks, Ben

Back to the top