Re: [linux-distros-dev] eclipse-build sub-project

* Ben Konrath <bkonrath@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-01-23 11:42]:

> There was some talk at the IRC meeting of making an eclipse-build
> similar to the ooo-build that's in hosted at gnome.org. I let the idea
> stew for a little bit and I think that it would be very beneficial.

I concur.  Although as [1] says, it would be nice if this project would
eventually die :) .

> * build technology / language to use: shell? python? something
>   else?

What does ooo-build use?

> * patch selection: do we check in all our patches and have a conf file
>   to select the patches we want? or another way?

That could be cool.  I think the conf file works okay.

> * how we deal with the seamokey vs. mozilla vs. firefox dep.

Something in the conf file?

> * FHS compliance: Fedora/Red Hat packages need this, but is everybody
>   else interested in this? If not, we need the ability to turn this on
>   and off

Yeah, since it's just a few mv's, it shouldn't be hard to turn it off.

> * do we want consistent package names and contents?

This would be great!

> * do we want to provide official releases that we can reference as an
>   upstream download or just use cvs snapshots?

I think we should stick with official releases.

> I don't mind starting this project off by transferring the build we do
> in Fedora to seed the project. But, I don't want this to become a Red
> Hat only thing so I'm totally willing to compromise where necessary and
> patch within the Fedora or Red Hat builds if need be. I also want
> everyone to be a part of this build project so that the people who
> maintain packages for any distro should feel comfortable committing to
> the project. The whole point of this would be to save us all work and
> let us co-maintain a set of standard Linux (maybe even Unix) Eclipse
> build scripts.

This sounds great, Ben.

Thanks,

Andrew