Re: [jwt-dev] add unique ID to meta model?

Hi

I understand the need very well.

However, I've seen that done in places (e.g. STP BPMN) and while it is very easy to do and use, it can be a mess to work with if you use these ids outside of the workflow model where they are defined, because they introduce strong coupling. In this latter case, it is better to use a **decoupled** way to refer to elements, typically a slashed path like we use in the TaskEngineFramework (1).

So it depends whether you want to refer to it within the workflow model (then it's OK, they'd even be valid XML ids), or refer to it from another file (then a decoupled method that uses the workflow structure rather than arbitrary generated ids would be better, and preserve usability across different versions or forks of the same workflow model).

Regards,
Marc

(1) see comment of modelElementPath in /jwt-taskengine-api/src/main/java/org/eclipse/jwt/runtime/taskengine/interfaces/ProcessModelService.java :

    /**
* Returns the value of any action - task impl (application, hook...)-specific property.
     * @param modelName name of process
* @param modelElementPath path of action - task tree (including within suprocesses),
     * consisting in their slash-prefixed names
     * @param propertyName
* @return value with the right Java type (some low-end impls might only return strings) * @throws NoSuchModelElementException if can't find target action - task
     * @throws NoSuchPropertyException if can't find property on it
     */
public Object getPropertyValue(String modelName, String modelElementPath, String propertyName)
        throws NoSuchModelElementException, NoSuchPropertyException;