Re: AW: [jwt-dev] EclipseCon CfP

OK guys, Stephane is in, with an interesting use case with SCA, in addition to Obeo know-how !
Please send your inputs before 12 PM, afterwards I'll submit the talk.

Regards,
Marc

Marc Dutoo a écrit :
Hi Chris (and Stephane)

I respectfully disagree :)

I can't think of a better broad appeal topic at hand. Besides SOA shared talk, everything is JWT specific, which is fine, but maybe will have less chances to be okayed - especially if there's a "competing" shared talk it's in.

Note that the topic won't be the converter, but rather how to answer the problem of model evolution in Eclipse and EMF - just like at ESE the topic wasn't our conf-model, but how it answered the model generic enrichment problem, compared to various other sensible ways of doing it.

Now, I admit it seems there's a lot of software and research on this topic, but there's been no talk on it at Eclipse Summit or Con yet. Sure we would have too look into COPE ( http://cope.in.tum.de/pmwiki.php which records EMF changes to ease model migration), but in order to talk more about AOM we would need at least this amount of work.

Moreover, Stephane's Obeo are experts about that, so maybe they'd be interested in a common talk ? Or even other people ?

I can write an abstract right now :

10 minutes talk, 5 minutes demo, 5 minutes debate about the topic with the audience / shared experience...

"Evolving your metamodel without antagonizing your users" "Painless / automated metamodel evolution" * the problem : modeling software evolves, as well as the modeled domain, and the modelization purpose as well. As years pass, the pain (of maintaining old models - migrating them - being restricted in metamodel evolutions that won't break "too much" legacy models) grows and grows and endlessly piles up... * solution 1 : modeling practices (subclassing rather than just adding another type ex. of ExecutableNode, having a version number in the model, pros and cons of having version-specific namespace, writing howtos on evolving legacy models in bugzillas...). The user still has to do everything, so it hurts ! * solution 2 : custom model evolution (java, xsl, further...). Talk here about what was done before in JWT, simple code that handled by default namespace changes and evolution, and let execute version specific code. The user had nothing to do, besides being warned it had to be converted (screenshot). * solution 3 : automate use of model transformation software. Here talk about our ATL model converter, how we only have to add a slightly changed ATL transformation when the model evolves, how it is truly painless to the end user & DEMO. * further : use metamodel evolution records ex. COPE, allow different strategies, allow automated migration of different referred metamodels (ex. JWT WE vs conf)

Stephane, do you think it makes sense or not ?

Regards,
Marc

Christian Saad a écrit :
Hi all,

I agree that this is an interesting piece of information that could be
included in a talk but probably not on its own.

Possible presenations:
- Shared SOA talk
- JWT views & aspects: EPC view
- AOM & JWT
- JWT in general (a bit of everything - but with a fancy title!)

Regards,
Chris