Re: [jwt-dev] Licensing issues

Hi Florian

Fine by me, I'd agree to anything anyway :)

My 2 cents already :

However, you say "...EPL code can be integrated into a GPL product ONLY..." while the URL you mention talk about a "Program". So I'd says we're talking about code-level integration here, i.e. library linking and such, and not "commercial" integration or packaging or branding or anything like this.

In Scarbo we have the (quite logical) policy of licensing devtime, Eclipse-based code in EPL, and runtime, OW2-integrating code in LGPL, which henceforth should not be a problem.

Regards,
Marc

Florian Lautenbacher a écrit :
Hi there,
Chris and me are currently preparing the newest AgilPro installer which is adapted to Eclipse Galileo. Here, I realized that we still have some licensing questions open: AgilPro has been GNU GPL v2 in the last versions since it integrates the Workflow-Codegeneration framework which itself is GPL (since it integrates the token-analysis-framework which is GPL...). This comes from the viral factor that the GPL has, which says that each product build upon GPL must be GPL again. On the other side we integrate JWT's code in it, which is EPL. Generally, GPL and EPL code are not compatible, which would be a problem. However, as can be seen in the EPL FAQ from the Eclipse foundation [1], EPL code can be integrated into a GPL product ONLY if one is the owner of the software or the owner authorized one to license it in GPL. In the last versions this was not a big problem, since mostly Chris and me have been implementing that code and we agreed to it. But now, there is a huge part of the code that has been developed by other members of the JWT team (mainly OpenWide, but also Obeo, etc.), so we now need a permission of all JWT members that are owner of the code that is part of Galileo. Similarly the Scarbo tools (e.g. demonstrators or runtime) build on LGPL right now. As soon as not only Mickael and Marc work on the JWT Runtime framework, but also others, they'll need the same permission. That is why I would like to discuss this topic in our telco this afternoon. If you have developed code which is part of Galileo and you do not agree in this license change as part of AgilPro, please be part of our telco today or let us know via email. Thanks and hear you later, Florian [1] http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#USEINANOTHER ---------------------------------------
 Dipl.-Inf. Florian Lautenbacher
Programming Distributed Systems Lab
 Institute of Computer Science
 University of Augsburg