AW: [jwt-dev] dynamic properties

Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for your feedback and great explanation of your ideas.

As you wrote, it would be better to implement a generic extension mechanism
to enrich model elements with  custom aspects instead of just adding dynamic
properties. If I got your idea about the open aspect element right, it would
be possible to use a generic, abstract EObject Aspect instead of a typed
DynamicProperty?
Using this technique, the value field of a dynamic property could easily be
dynamically created as an EAttribute of the corresponding type.
(Concerning the typing issue, I've got a small comment: Maybe we should
consider to limit aspects to be subclassed from ModelElement, as is
everything else in the metamodel, since some routines in JWT may depend on
this).
You wrote that a dynamically typed Aspect could not be extended with static
elements. Does this mean that a static class cannot be subclassed by
statically AND dynamically generated classes (e.g. the subclass
AbstractAspect>DynamicPropertyValue has to be created dynamically) ?

Also, I clearly forgot about the requirement to attach properties/aspects to
just some model elements. However, keeping in line with the metamodeling
approach, one could perceive an aspect as an addition to a metamodel element
which is then inherited by all instances. Basically I'm also thinking that
this could make the management of the aspects easier, since the general rule
would be: add it to all objects of this type ;)
Maybe a "switch" attribute could be considered to activate/deactivate it for
single objects with an additional possibility to set a default behavior on
the meta level.

Like you mentioned, the problem when loading a model without the required
metamodel extensions is certainly a problem that presents itself when using
this feature. When a completely dynamic extension is used, this renders the
model unloadable. However, loading dynamic properties without their external
description might just work if implemented as a static extension ;)

Applying the view management to aspects would certainly be a challenging
task. Of course, because I'm not quite familiar with the domains where
dynamic aspects will be used, I cannot decide how important this issue is,
but my subjective impression at the moment is that, if a user specifically
adds metamodel extensions, these don't necessarily have to be hidden (please
correct me if I'm wrong here, this just looks like a tempting opportunity to
skip a difficult issue).

Anyway, probably the best way to see how this can be implemented and to
detect additional difficulties, would be to just try out several different
approaches ;)

Regards,
Christian