Re: AW: AW: [jwt-dev] Extending the JWT Editor with Extension Points?

Hi Florian, Bryan

I think we should not use the JWT model to show things that are too remote from it. That's why there are transformations ex. with BPMN that has its own editor in STP.

Though customizing the view (ex. icons) thanks to extended model data is a very good idea.

More about mixing model and view :
* I've read in an eclipsecon presentation that, though mixing model and view is not good in theory, in EMF you usually end up this way and it works "well". * the STP BPMN editor, using GMF diagram technology, justly separates its model in a .bpmn file and visual information in a .bpmn_diagram file. * improving JWT : typically, Location, Size etc. elements could be not subelements of ex. Actions, but in another place and referring the Actions they pertain to.

Regards,
Marc

Florian Lautenbacher a écrit :
Hi Bryan,

thanks for your question which raises an interesting point we should think
of. Actually, we are using EMF and GEF, but not GMF as we would like to in
the future. So, we only got one meta-model: to describe the concepts that
are needed for the workflow. The graphical representation is at the moment
hard-coded, so it is also only possible to have one graphical representation
for the workflow model. In bug 225706 I described the idea of using the
underlying metamodel to show different graphical representations. Maybe an
own metamodel would be useful, here, too, but for the moment we don't have
the resources to implement that. Maybe in the near future...
So the discussion with extension points is not about the graphical
presentation, but about how process engine specific data (e.g. for MWE,
Imixs, jBPM, Bonita, etc.) could be integrated into the model WITHOUT
changing the graphical display simply by adding some properties and
additional pages to insert these properties.
I hope that makes it a little bit clearer.

Best regards,

Florian