[jwt-dev] Semantic matching of web services and business processes

Hi Samir, hi Djamel,

as Marc wrote in one of his lasts mail, you are also working in the context
of semantic matchmaking of services and processes!?

In my research I focus on Semantic Business Processes and their model-driven
realization through Semantic Web Services.
The problem with semantic web services is, that there are currently a lot of
approaches available - each one with a different focus. The semantic markup
for web service-language OWL-S extends the existing OWL (Web Ontology
Language) constructs with special constructs for web services (Input,
Output, Preconditions and Effects as well as others). Similarly, the Web
Service Modeling Ontology (WSMO) focuses on the modeling of services and
ontologies, but also includes mediators and goals and extends the
description logic in OWL-S to a Prolog-Style language. On the other hand the
Semantic Web Services Framework (SWSF) extends OWL-S to a first-order logic
in its language SWSL. And there is the WSDL-S approach and the SAWSDL
approach which "simply" extend existing WSDL-files with semantic and
machine-interpretable information. As one can see acronyms and abbreviations
are in this area widely common - more than one can simply understand and so
are the "standards" themselves. :-)

Therefore we at the University of Augsburg compared the existing standards
and created a meta-model "on top" which includes the constructs that are
most important in these standards (Please see [1] for a detailed comparison
and the paper submitted to [2] as attachment).

For the semantic annotation of business processes we currently work on a
semantic description of input and output of process actions and their
dependencies in order to make an automatic synthesis/composition of process
actions.
Therefore, we currently propose a three-step approach:
>analysing the semantic dependencies of process actions that are stored in a
process library (e.g. a workflow engine) and creating a
action-dependency-graph
>creating an action-state-graph considering the dependencies between
actions: this computes all states that can occur and all goals that might be
fulfilled in the different states
>developing a process model (currently on basis of UML 2 activity diagrams)

A paper describing this approach is currently available as a draft version
and I can send it to you if you are interested in further details.

Any information on your research and attempts is highly welcome and it would
be great if we could include some semantic aspects also in the JWT project.

Best regards,

Florian

[1] Lautenbacher, F. A UML-profile and transformation rules for semantic web
services, available online at
http://www.ds-lab.org/publications/reports/2006-20.html

[2] Lautenbacher, F.; Bauer, B. Creating a Meta-Model for Semantic Web
Services, In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Web Information
Systems and Technologies, WEBIST 2007, Barcelona, Spain, March 2007.