Re: [jgit-dev] JGit Bazel and Maven

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Pepper Lebeck-Jobe <eljobe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm just starting to contribute to this project and one of the first things I'm having trouble figuring out is whether I should be building and testing the project with Maven or Bazel (or both.)

The Contributor Guide is sort of sending mixed messages.
JGit can be built using Maven 2 or 3.

Since Gerrit migrated its build from buck to Bazel a Bazel build was also implemented for JGit.

This was done to simplify working on changes which require changing both Gerrit and JGit.

I have more history with Bazel than Maven, so I was happily running all the tests for a recent change of mine with Bazel, but then I noticed that the Hudson build jgit.gerrit is using Maven to verify changes.

I also noticed on Hudson that there is a jgit.bazel configuration which is disabled.
I understand if the project is in some sort of transition phase, but it's probably not a great idea to have developers using one build system during development and the automated CI builds using a different system to verify the changes. Unless, I guess, CI is constantly ensuring that both types of build systems are passing.

I didn't yet find the time to finish the work on the bazel build in Jenkins.
Bazel does not support building OSGi bundles, features and p2 repositories yet, that's why we still need a Maven build
since JGit is also installed in Eclipse which is using an OSGi runtime.

Is anyone still looking at getting a Bazel build working on Hudson? I ran into two issues trying to build with Bazel on the head of master, and I they were both quite easy to fix.

How can I help make the situation more stable?
Let me know,
Pepper