[jgit-dev] Should JGits GC has a expiration time also for pack files?

Hi,

there is a bug report [1] which points into the direction that maybe
in the context of gerrit JGit's garbage collection is to eagerly
deleting pack files. It's not really clear to me whether this is
really a race condition between a push and a gc in this case but one
thing is sure: if JGit would have a grace period for packfiles (e.g.
never delete a pack file which is younger than an hour) we would be
more save in such situations.

Currently JGit supports expiration dates and will not delete loose
objects which are younger a specified age. But that's explicitly for
loose objects. Don't confuse this with reflog expiration - that's
different.

Opionions: should we add a grace period for pack files during gc?

Ciao
  Chris

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/repo-discuss/XmjP7PF59cc

Back to the top