Re: [jgit-dev] FileMode values failing self-tests on NonStop

On 25 Feb 2015 1:24AM Shawn Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Randall S. Becker
> <rsbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Brief intro - I am involved in porting git, JGit, and Gerrit over to
> > the HP NonStop OSS platform. Git went pretty well, so far anyway,
> > although we have timeout issues from EGit (not relevant to this). For
> > JGit, we are currently building for JDK 1.6, and it is not passing 16
> > AddCommand tests, due to file mode mismatches, for example:
> >
> > testAddExistingSingleBinaryFile(org.eclipse.jgit.api.AddCommandTest)
> > Time
> > elapsed: 1.936 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> > org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<[a.txt, mode:100[644],
> > content:row1 row2...> but was:<[a.txt, mode:100[755], content:row1
> > row2...>
> >         at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:115)
> >         at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:144)
> >         at
> > org.eclipse.jgit.api.AddCommandTest.testAddExistingSingleBinaryFile(Ad
> > dComma
> > ndTest.java:179)
> >
> > The platform is a Big-Endian Itanium with a POSIXesque file system. A
> > visual inspection of the FileMode, AddCommand, NB, IO code were
> > unrevealing as to why the mode test would fail. All other
> > non-mode-related tests pass, except GitConstructionTest, which I am
> > just guessing may be related. This applies from HEAD back to at least commit
> 8899006. Has this happened elsewhere?
>
> I haven't seen this specific failure before.
>
> It looks like JGit is detecting a file is executable when the test expected it to be
> a regular file. On Windows this was always fuzzy because the concept of
> "executable" isn't like on UNIX systems. The core.filemode config variable
> should be auto-detected during repository creation and used during things like
> AddCommand to decide if it should trust the filesystem's concept of
> "executable". On UNIX systems, yes, on Windows systems typically no, because
> its too likely to give you bad results.
>
> This smells like the Windows failure mode when core.filemode isn't honored
> and the code is just blindly trusting the filesystem's concept of executable, and
> the filesystem is falsely claiming everything is executable.
>
> I know nothing of HP NonStop, so I don't know what "executable" means there,
> or how the Java APIs might be showing that bit about a file to JGit.

It is very much UNIX-like and Java usually returns proper file attributes when asked. The File object behaves properly [just verified it, with this JVM] at least for canRead(),canWrite(),canExecute() and matches 'ls -l' exactly for the user, but as this is Java 6, there is no standard group/other permission API. I figured this should use FS_POSIX_java (eventually), but os.name="NONSTOP_KERNEL" is not known to JGit. Can you point me to the class where stuff is get/set in JGit?

Cheers,
Randall

Back to the top