Re: [jgit-dev] Allow to always use blocks for if/while/for/do statements?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I was many times beaten during the reviews of my patches to j/egit projects
because I always use blocks for all if/while/for/do statements, independently
of their size, but j/egit coding style says "no braces should be used for one-
line statements" [1].

So this is OK for j/egit:

if(bla)
  doSomething();

but this is NOT:

if(bla){
  doSomething();
}

I found this rule pretty annoying for many reasons: the rule itself is not
only an exception from the general rule to have braces around any blocks but
also contains another 2 exceptions that you *have to* use braces in some
special cases. The code containing multiple if/else block with and without
braces looks inconsistent, refactoring often leads to left-over braces.
Especially that Eclipse formatter does not remove "unnecessary" braces
automatically is kind of showstopper - one can't even trust Ctrl+Shift+F :-).

Is there any strong reason to keep this rule or is it just matter of taste?

Can we please relax the guidelines and remove this rule from the coding
guidelines?

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Braces_for_one-line_statements

+0

We should not reformat existing code globally in case we change the style to always use braces
but only change style of new or modified code.

--
Matthias

Back to the top