[jgit-dev] using the JGit library to get a list of all the files from a remote repository

with svn we can get a list of all the files in a remote repository without checking out the contents locally, with svn list <url>.

if i understood it correctly, the git client/protocol does not allow this possibility.
so, i would need to do as follows:
git clone <url>
git ls-tree -r --name-only remotes/origin/master

however, this means that I need to download all the files locally.

is it possible create a program that lists all the files, without downloading all the files?
or according to the git procotol, it is impossible to get such a list without downloading the content of all the files?
if it is possible, can this be done with the JGit library?
any help in this direction?

Regards,
David

Back to the top